Midlands 4 Wheel Driver Club has opted to go the VHF radio route.

All VHF radio owners have to obtain a licence from ICASA (Independent Communications Authority of South Africa).

Most, if not all, off-road clubs obtain their licences through the Off Road Radio Association (ORRA) who are authorised to issue licences on behalf of ICASA.

These licences are issued annually and are valid from the 1st of April of each year.

To obtain a license the following steps need to be followed:

1.This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. the club's radio officer and ask him for a letter certifying that you are a member of the club;

2. Complete ORRA's application form - available from ORRA's website (http://www.orra.co.za/individuals.html)

3. Pay the requisite amount (at this stage R100 for up to 4 radios) into ORRA account.

4. Email scans of the following to the Radio Officer who will submit it on your behalf:

#  club letter 

#  the completed ORRA application form; and

#  proof of payment to ORRA

You will receive an email with your User Authorisation. Print the letter and cut out your User Authorisation Card and always keep it on you or in your vehicle.


Your license must be renewed by the 1st April every year. 

Once you have paid your renewal, please email Stanley on This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to advise him so that he can update our records.


Please be aware:

  • that you have to be a paid up member of a club registered with ORRA to have a radio licence. Should your membership of the club lapse you will no longer be able to keep or use your radio.
  • that the club is bound to inform ORRA, each year, of those members who have radios who have not renewed their membership.